Disclosure: Philips Sonicare provided product to facilitate this post. All opinions stated are my own.
I used to think that we were on the right track to teaching our kids how to care for their teeth. That was until about 6 months ago when Blake when in for his routine cleaning and they found FOUR cavities in his mouth! Yes, FOUR!! Since, I have never had a cavity, I was mortified. Four fillings later and we have really ramped up our oral health care routine.
Here are some of tips to teach your kids for a healthy mouth:
- Brush twice a day for TWO minutes! Now, for a kid, 30 seconds feels like two minutes. This is why I recommend a kids power toothbrush that will keep time for them. The Philips Sonicare for Kids is a great option and even comes in an Ice Age design where your child can decorate their brush. This rechargeable brush retails for $49.99 and comew with Bluetooth® technology that connects the power toothbrush directly to its customizable FREE interactive Ice Age coaching app.
- Floss twice a day. This was a step that we were missing! I highly recommend Flossers, which makes flossing easy for little hands and mouths. These actually help me floss their teeth easier as well.
- After brushing, rinse with Listerine Smart Rinse. This not only helps remove particles that brushing may have missed, but also provides Fluoride, which helps to strengthen teeth.
- Try to decrease your child’s sugar intake.
- Visit a dentist regularly. We take our boys every six months for a cleaning and check up.
I am happy to say that Blake’s last dentist visit was a lot less painful and there were NO cavities!